What’s in the Bag: Titleist Rory McIlroy
All the buzz surrounding Titleist Brand Ambassador Rory McIlroy came to life at the Quail Hollow Championship with one dazzling shot after another in a record round that made him the PGA Tour’s youngest winner since Tiger Woods.
The 20-year-old from Northern Ireland, who celebrates his 21st birthday on Tuesday, went 5-under over the final five holes to set the course record with a 10-under 62 and win by four shots over Masters champion Phil Mickelson (Callaway Tour iX). With a one-shot lead, McIlroy hit a 5-iron from 207 yards up the hill to 3 feet for eagle on the 15th. From a fairway bunker on the 16th, he hit 7-iron to 5 feet for another birdie. He capped off the magical round by knocking in a 40-foot putt at the 18th that thrilled the fans and gave him a winning total of 15-under 273. Woods, who missed the cut this week, was 20 years and 10 months when he won his first PGA Tour event in Las Vegas in 1996.
Rory McIlroy’s setup at the 2010 Quail Hollow Championship:
- Ball: Pro V1x
- Driver: Titleist 909D2 (8.5°) with a Fujikura Rombax 7V05 shaft
- Fairway: Titleist 906F2 13.5°) with a Project X 7A3 shaft, (18.5°) with a Fujikura FitOn 11 Pro 95 shaft
- Irons: Titleist AP2 (3-4) and MB irons (5-9) with Project X 6.5 shafts
- Wedges: Bob Vokey Spin Milled C-C (48°, 54°, 58°) with Project X 6.5 shafts
- Putter: Scotty Cameron GSS